Thursday, September 20, 2007

ROUND 1: A Week Too Far...

We went a week too far.

Monday, September 10, about 10:00 am, I made appointments for Janis and I to have physicals. This is part of our medical coverage here in India. The Plan we are with has two aspects: Outpatient and Inpatient.

The Outpatient is easy to get into, fill out the form, pay the fee and you're in. The Inpatient part of the plan, however, requires a physical (a very complete physical, by the way, taking a whole day including a battery of some of the most advanced tests) for people over a certain age (to be discretely unnamed!). So, our appointments for physicals were scheduled for Monday, September 17.

On Monday the 10th, about 1:30 pm, I began to have a small knot in my stomach. By 5:00 pm, when I arrived home, I was definitely not feeling good. About 7:00 pm I fell asleep. I awoke around 9:00 pm when the first light bout of Delhi Belly struck. Another more severe bout struck at about 11:00 pm. The knockout bout came about 1:30 am. That's when it took me over five minutes to get up enough energy to tell Janis I needed some help.

Our landlord drove us to the Emergency Room, I was later admitted to the Hospital, and stayed for three days, finally being released late Thursday (9/13) afternoon.

During this time, Janis was also experiencing similar symptoms, less severely and suddenly, so she was able to be treated by a physician.

Also during this time, Chris, Nicole and Esther arrived. Hmmm...we wonder if it was accidental that these these happened virtually simultaneously...



Janis, Chris and Nicole visited while I was in the Hospital.



Here is my room-mate who had been in for about 20 days! He had just retired from a government job when an illness struck. He was released the same day I was.



I finally got to see Esther when I was discharged. Here we are reading a book.


If we'd only been able to complete the physicals the week before! We went a week too far!

Despite this, we both became very aware of our dependence on strength from outside us. To all of you who support us in so many ways, "THANK YOU!".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better and out of the hospital!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to here that you've been in the hospital! Glad to here that you were able to visit your family!